Making a 9 Patch Pin Cushion
1. Cut nine squares 2 ½” x 2 ½”, make into a nine patch block.
2. Put a square of batting on the back, 6 ½” x 6 ½” and quilt.
3. Cut a square of backing fabric 6 ½” x 6 ½”. Trim the corners into a curve.
4. Cut a strip of fabric for the edges, 22” x 2 ¼”.
5. Pin and sew around the top of the pincushion, turning a hem on each edge.
6. Pin the base on the other side and stitch, leaving the gap open.
7. Turn to the right side and stuff with polyfil through the gap.
8. Stitch the gap to close.
9. Find the centre of the back and using Perle thread doubled, knot the end and pull through to the centre of the front of the pin cushion. Thread the button through and stitch it through the middle, pulling the thread in to make a well in the pin cushion. Knot it off to secure.
Try stoping at one! These make great little gifts for stitching friends.